For those that really get into adventure racing it can be expensive, with all the equipment needed for training and racing. However, we believe the fun you have is in no way related to the money spent on equipment. We’re into cheap thrills round here!
|Seriously, we’ve often found that expensive finely tuned kit, like mountain bikes, aren’t half as reliable and sturdy as the good value kit that most people own.|
For a Wan Dae race, each person must have:
- Running Shoes: with good grip for the hills
- Mountain Bike: Nothing flash. It’s reliability that counts.
- Bike: Cycle helmet, gloves, and water bottle (or hydration system -see below)
- Kayak, Buoyancy Aids and paddles WILL BE PROVIDED BY THE EVENT ORGANISERS. YOU DO NOT NEED TO PROVIDE YOUR OWN.
- General Sports Clothes and Accessories: waterproof jacket, leggings, cycling shorts, and hat or buff. A small rucksack – not a bumbag. With water bottle or other hydration system.
- Food: A minimum of 2 energy bars in possession per person at all times
In addition the team must carry at least one set of the following:
- Mobile Phone
- Bike and puncture repair equipment (multi tool, inner tube, pump, repair patches, tyre levers)
- First Aid Kit: Minimum of crepe bandage, triangular bandage, wound dressing (one large), 2 safety pins and 6 adhesive dressings
- Foil Blanket/Bag
- Permanent pen
- Gadgets: Watch, whistle, compass
If you’re not sure if adventure racing is going to be your thing then don’t rush out and buy a load of kit; just beg, borrow or ahem, borrow some from friends, see if you like it, then make some kit investments over time.